Here’s just a few of the ways Brett Kavanaugh could irrevocably change everyday life in America if he is confirmed to the Supreme Court:
- Brett Kavanaugh is the nominee the extreme anti-choice has been waiting for to gut Roe v. Wade, criminalize abortion, and punish women. Trump campaigned on the promise that he would only nominate justices who would overturn Roe, and we take him at his word. As Kavanaugh’s record, and Trump’s support of him demonstrate, he does not respect the rights of American women to determine what is best for their lives, bodies and health.
- He could erode voting rights protections even further. He already wrote an opinion upholding a South Carolina voter ID law that Obama’s Justice Department argued would lead tens of thousands of voters, especially people of color, to be unable to vote.
- Rubberstamp more fascist immigration policies like the “Muslim ban” and undermine efforts to reunite refugee families separated by Trump and ICE.
- Kavanaugh could repeal marriage equality for LGBTQ families, and further erode housing, employment, and healthcare discrimination protections for LGBTQ people.
- Kavanaugh opposes net neutrality and ruled for big cable companies just last year.
- He believes assault weapons bans are unconstitutional, and would side with the NRA in crucial gun cases coming before the Supreme Court soon.
- He opposes the Supreme Court’s ruling that upheld Obamacare, and might rule against it in a new lawsuit brought by right-wing state officials.
- Kavanaugh will surely accelerate the systematic erosion of unions and their ability to advocate for workers against greedy corporations and modern day industry barons like the Koch brothers.