Judge Gorsuch is the most extreme Supreme Court nominee in a generation, even more extreme than Justice Scalia. Here are the facts:
- On Women’s Rights, Judge Gorsuch has a troubling history of ruling against women and their families. In the infamous Hobby Lobby court case, Gorsuch ruled that a boss can decide whether their employees can have access to basic health care, including birth control. In another case, he sided with an anti-choice politician who was trying to block access to Planned Parenthood in the state of Utah. President Trump has repeatedly promised to appoint justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade and he’s confident that Gorsuch is his man.
- On Civil Rights, Judge Gorsuch has repeatedly ruled to give police forces and prosecutors more unchecked power. In one instance, Gorsuch ruled in favor of an officer who allegedly gave a nine-year-old boy a hairline fracture. Gorsuch is also a staunch opponent of marriage equality, placing him far outside of the mainstream and on the wrong side of history.
- On Corporate Influence, Judge Gorsuch has repeatedly ruled in favor of wealthy, powerful corporations and against the interest of everyday people. In cases where workers alleged sex, race, age, and other discrimination, Gorsuch has sided with the employer in eight of the twelve cases.
- Gorsuch is highly hostile to the work of groups fighting for rights and justice. In an article for a conservative magazine, Gorsuch criticized “the Left” for advancing too many constitutional lawsuits and described marriage equality as part of the liberal social agenda, saying, “American liberals have become addicted to the courtroom … as the primary means of effecting their social agenda on everything from gay marriage to assisted suicide to the use of vouchers for private-school education.”
- Judge Gorsuch would help rig our economic and political systems even worse against working families and our communities. He would have overturned a Department of Labor fine against a company whose failure to train a worker caused his death. Confirming him would put the ability of working people to join together at work and have a voice in a union at risk.
- Neil Gorsuch has a troubling record of siding with the wealthy and powerful and against everyone else. He believes corporations are people. He has supported a legal standard that would lead to the end of contribution limits, something that would hand our elections completely over to big donors and special interests. He has opposed accountability for corporate bad actors. If given a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court, he’d weaken our democracy by making it harder for everyday people to have their voices heard.
- Finally, Judge Gorsuch wants to gut the government’s power to protect families and communities across the nation. Gorsuch wants to slash the authority of agencies like the EPA, Health and Human Services, and the FCC—threatening to affect the lives of millions of Americans in everything from our health care, to environmental quality, to our ability to access the internet. Even Justice Scalia, arguably the most conservative Justice in modern history, strongly disagreed with Gorsuch on these matters.
Judge Gorsuch has promised to “apply the law as it is, focusing backward.” But we know that means backward with no regard for the march of history. Backward to a time when rights were limited to only a privileged few. We can’t let him take us backward.
Read more about Neil Gorsuch’s record and positions here.